Wednesday, October 3, 2007

sshfs

I'm currently helping a couple of coworkers switch over to Ubuntu, and I just realized that I forgot to tell them to install sshfs first thing. Sshfs is my #1 reason for being on linux. If I had to give it up, I wouldn't be able to do my job and stay sane. (I'm a developer). It basically make the entire internet (well those boxes you can ssh to, anyways) an extension of your harddrive. The reason I forgot to mention it is that its so easy to use, I almost forget I'm using it. Anyways, if you don't know what it is, check here.

The fuse project has some other pretty cool applications as well. One of them I just found out about is MythTvfs, which lets you mount a mythtv backend and browse stored shows easily. As myth stores its shows with cryptic filenames, this is a huge tool for programs (or people) that don't know how to interface with mythbackend. It looks like its a little more difficult to get running then sshfs, but I just need to set aside some time to get it installed.

No comments: