Sunday, February 10, 2008

Misc

Gar, I'm a poor blogger...

In news:
- I got an N810 for christmas! Its a really nice device, though its taking time for me to integrate it into daily life. I started by using to read my google reader on the bus during my 6 day a month commute. Its really good for that, but my current cell plan uses minutes for data, so I'm still trying to figure out how long I can use it per commute without going over on minutes. Of course, its only $15/month more to get unlimited data, but that involves a call to verizon, which makes me shudder every time I think of it, so im still on minutes. What I'd really like to be able to do is run google reader offline, which i can do with google gears on my lappy, but i haven't found a good solution on the n810 yet, short of running my own feed aggregator. (and i'm not really sure if that would help).
I've got some other stuff i want to write for the device though. I was reading about this new device for geotagging photos, that, rather then using battery to keep a fix all the time, it just takes a quick reading off the chip and save raw data, then later resolves that info to a fix on your computer when you upload the pictures and metadata. I wonder if we can accomplish the same thing with the gps chip in the n810. Currently I use maemo-mapper to record tracks when walking/hiking, but thats annoying cause it keeps the screen on when you're moving. I know theres another app thats just for tracks, but I read that it was problematic with the internal gps in the n810, so I didnt try it, but I imagine it gets a fix before it starts tracking as well. I'd like to try this raw recording/resovling later both for tracks and geotagging, I just need to find some time to sit down and do some learning about the platform.

Well, thats all for now, though I do have many more thoughts on maemo. So more to come, hopefully sooner then this one.

No comments: